“Nothing is really lost by a life of sacrifice; everything is lost by failure to obey God’s call”
With a New Year, many people are thinking about what changes they want to make, and where they are going to double down. However, most of us don’t really know how to choose your New Year Resolutions that follow the heart of Jesus.
“In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps” (Proverbs 16:9)
Here is an outline of a missional community session that combines worship, Scripture, prayer and a fresh call to mission!
Here’s a simple worship exercise to do with your missional community.
1. Go round the table and have everyone say one of the best things from the last year. Keep things fairly short, and there should be some laughter along the way! This is a time of encouragement and thanksgiving.
2. Ask people to think about the thing the was most clearly not good. This time, have people think quietly, and then jot down on a piece of paper what that thing was. As you give out paper at the start of the exercise, reassure people that no-one is going to read what they write.
When people have finished writing, have them screw up the piece of paper and toss it in a trash basket you’ve set out (or, even better, onto an open fire if you have one). Read the following Bible verse:
“If anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!” (2 Corinthians 5:17)
In 2014, all is new with Jesus! Lead out in prayer, releasing these things to God. Ask a couple of others to pray too.
Here’s an outwards-focused exercise to do with your missional community.
Talk about who you as a group are called to be ‘One Of’ – in other words, the neighborhood or network of relationships that your group is focused on reaching.
Ask people to think about how you as a community can make a greater difference in bringing Jesus to your friends, neighbors and colleagues. Take time to dream some dreams, fly some kites and, out of that, start to brainstorm some specific options.
Then ask everyone to think personally about what Jesus is saying to them in 2014 about making disciples.
- How can they serve Him better on mission?
- Who are they called to reach?
- Who specifically are they called to disciple this year?
- What specifically are they going to do in their weekly rhythms so that there is margin for mission in their life?
- What growth goals are they going to set?
Remind people: if they want to hear God’s voice in 2014, then they need to talk with Him about what He wants to talk about!
“May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed” (Psalm 20:4)
May you know God’s blessing on 2014!
How can you help those around you pursue God more deeply in 2014?
- To read another perspective on this topic (Discipleship Begins With Hello) please click here
- And if you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing it on Facebook, Twitter or other social media below. Thanks!