- Are you intrigued by the idea of missional communities, but puzzled by what it exactly means?
- Are you experimenting with living like missionaries, but are not quite sure what should be your yardstick?
- Are you wanting to help lead others into a more missional lifestyle, and would like a simple, robust yet highly transferable framework to share?
Hannah and I have been living and leading missional communities on-the-ground for many years, and out of that current and past experience we would define a missional community in these ways…
A Missional Community Definition In A Sentence:
A missional community is an extended family of relationships, centered around Jesus, who go and make disciples amongst a specific group of people
A Missional Community Definition In 3 Words:
COMMUNITY – authentic community occurs, so people can belong before they believe, and will experience an extended family atmosphere
MISSION – there is a common mission to a specific group of people (this is a ‘who’, not a ‘what’)
PRACTICE – everyone gets to contribute in every area
A Missional Community Definition In Bullet Points:
- A group of 20 to 50+ people (these numbers include both adults and children)
- The group’s focus is defined by a mission vision to a specific neighborhood or network of relationships
- It is a disciple-making culture
- There is an expectation of multiplication from day 1 — thus team is built, and everyone gets to contribute
- The group does a healthy mixture of Up, In and Out
Up = Creative worship + “Fresh bread”
In = Eating + “Oneanothering”
Out = Demonstrating the works of Jesus (as we serve, and as we are ‘Naturally Supernatural’) + Declaring the words of Jesus
- Small groups will naturally form as sub-sets of missional communities, particularly as we do oneanothering properly
How We Use These Definitions
We use this language as:
- An explanation of how we understand missional communities
- A basis for how we initially train our leaders
- A structure for accountability for leaders
- A diagnostic tool when groups or leaders hit problems
What is your template for your missional community gatherings?
Use the comment section below to share your thoughts and experiences.
Want More On This?
- Try this post on What Do Missional Communities Do?
- Make sure you’ve signed up to receive an email each time there’s a new post — scroll to the bottom of this page and add your name and email. In return, you will be able to download the FREE “31 Proven Ways To Start Living A Missional Life!”
- Connect personally with me via Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+
- And if you enjoyed this post, please consider sharing it via the social media buttons below. Thanks so much!