“Children do a terrible job of listening to their parents, but a terrific job of copying them!”
And this same principle is key to understanding how to disciple adults and children alike!
Paul’s instruction to the Christians in Corinth was, “Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ” (1 Corinthians 11:1), which holds equally true as wisdom for us today. That’s because discipling others is fundamentally about imitation more than it’s about information.
Anyone who is a follower of Jesus is called to go and make disciples amongst those with whom you have some influence at home, school, work, or wherever you do life. And the best way to do this is to LIVE OUT IN FRONT OF THEM how you follow Jesus in practice.
That could be as you deal with the stresses of parenthood, the challenges of a difficult boss, the joys of success, the temptation to swear loudly when your team loses at sport, how to respond to sickness, the blessings of answered prayer, wondering what the future holds, and all the others ups and downs of life. Everywhere and anywhere is an opportunity to join Jesus in discipling others – whether that’s bringing Christians into greater maturity, or the lost to faith in Jesus (see John 8:31-32).
In this 270 second video, I’ll give you the basic principles of imitation-based disciple-making. Why not share this video with your group or church as a starter for conversation this week on how to grow as disciple-makers?
In the video you’ll also learn the R.E.I. tool.
We’ve found this to be a simple yet insightful way to help people understand how to disciple others.
(Teaser: people are far more impacted by relationships and meaningful experiences than they are by information. This doesn’t mean we don’t think or study, but it does mean we stop pretending those things are an acceptable alternative to life-on-life investment in those Jesus has placed around us.)
“But what about learning from the Bible?”
We absolutely believe in reading the Bible as a core part of discipling others! But here’s the thing: too many Christians present studying the Bible as primarily an intellectual exercise of information transfer, whereas it should instead be focused on life change. It’s far more fruitful to stay on one verse and talk together how to live that out in practice than it is to complete lengthy studies that we simply check off but never put into daily practice.
Also, the problem with the information transfer approach is that it intimidates most Christians out of discipling others (“I don’t know enough”). Instead, let’s focus on models that don’t require a ton of knowledge, but do need a ton of love – for God and for the person we’re pouring into.
One tool that we’ve found incredibly helpful is the Discovery Bible Study – watch our short training video on that by clicking here.
- Who are you called to be discipling over the next 6 months? (If you’re not sure, talk with Jesus about who you would most like to be investing into, and start there!)
- How can you invest into them in relational yet meaningful ways, where they can experience the difference that following Jesus makes?
Equipping for Mission Coaching Cohort
A brand new online coaching experience to help YOU and your household live more fruitfully on mission – and ALSO enable you to motivate, encourage, and resource others in your group, church, or ministry to do the same!
- Over a 12 month process we (Alex and Hannah) will pour into you a custom mix of proven practices and theological training.
- The focus throughout will be on building a robust missional mindset alongside a personal experience of an everyday missionary lifestyle.
- Each time you’ll have PRACTICAL homework that will help you learn and grow in different skills!
- The Cohort gathers online (max. 10 screens) 2 times per month, for about 55 minutes on each occasion.
- Only $79/month – spouses come for FREE, discounts for people from the same church, plus a scholarship fund for church planters.
If you have any questions, please let us know!